Friday 13 August 2010

Knocked Down Again

Being married, I don't have break-ups anymore. Neither do I get The Speech or turned down on dates. But being a writer, I do get a fair amount of that which all Singles hate: rejection.

So as part of my ongoing solidarity with Singles, I've decided to tell you all when a book gets rejected.

I've just had a book rejected.

That makes five rejections, I believe, for this particular MS, and a second "She's good; let's see her next novel", which is the writerly equivalent of your mom saying "You're so pretty, I'm sure you'll find somebody one day."

I think Seraphic Singles got turned down five times, too.

So after I finish the day's housework, I'm going to go through the MS with gritted teeth, cut where the intrigued but regretful publisher said cut, save the file, print it out and send it to a different publisher in the USA.

Sigh not so, but let them go, and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny!

7 comments:

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

But the cuts desired by Publisher A (who's rejected the book) may not be what Publisher B wants, and if a writer does that after every rejection, won't the novel end up like a deformed mutant?

I've never been published myself, so I have no personal knowledge of the whole process. But I was thinking of Jo March wacking up her first novel to please various (and varied) critics and pleasing no one including herself.

Anyway, maybe sixth's time is the charm. Good luck!

theobromophile said...

...and it's our job, as Singles used to all sorts of rejection from ne'er-do-wells and other degenerates to tell you, Seraphic, that Publishers One through Five have no idea what is good for them and do not understand what a great thing they are missing. Further, you will (eventually) find Publisher Right, and all will be well with the new book.

Seraphic said...

LOL! Thank you!

sciencegirl said...

Grr. Hang in there.

Also, while I like the various settings of the verse you quote, but when it comes to getting over getting knocked down, I like this song from my high school days better:

Chumbawamba "Tubthumping"

Kate P said...

Sorry to hear, Seraphic. I've heard of writers who plaster the wall over their desks with rejection letters as a kind of inspiration/trophy wall. (Kinda like how my brother used to plaster his dorm wall with infraction write-ups.)

It's totally their loss; I enjoy your writing, even if I'm too dense to follow a mystery!

Shiraz said...

I remember when I was in law school and everyone was applying for summer clerkships, there was a guy who sent rejection letters back to the firms who sent him rejection letters. E.g.: "Dear Firm X. Thank you for your rejection letter. Although your rejection letter was impressive, the standard of rejection letters this year has been very high, and I am unable to accept your rejection letter at this time." Maybe that sort of thing would work on publishers? ;-)

Christine said...

there, there...hang in there.