Saturday 12 March 2011

The Damage of Drama

UPDATE (Sun): Whew! Things are not as bad as I thought. There was no gossipy X. It was all a misunderstanding and, er, drama.

Great thanks to those who emailed to say they were praying for whomever involved or to remind me how much they love my blog. Full speed ahead, and, God willing, a nice new post tomorrow.

*****

Unfortunately, someone has used this blog to hurt a letter-writer and a friend of that letter-writer. Needless to say, I feel terrible.

I just wrote a whole post to talk about Drama, but sadly my computer erased it. I'm feeling too downhearted to write the whole thing again, so I'm going to go away and have a little think.

It's things like this that make me wonder if I ought not to quit blogging.

People, if you think you recognize someone discussed in a blogpost, the Christian thing to do is not immediately to tell the universe, or the person you are certain will be devastated if she or he finds out, but the blogger. That way the blogger can change or take down the post before damage is done.

I almost always (i.e. all but once) ask for permission before printing letters, and although I edit a lot of detail, I can never be 100% sure that people mentioned or alluded to are not recognizable. If people don't make their own judgement calls, I have to make my own judgement calls, and sometimes I don't make the best one.

You know that thrill you get when you discover a piece of really juicy gossip? It's evil. Ignore it.