Saturday 2 August 2014

Live in Edinburgh!

If you happen to be in the United Kingdom and were thinking of going to the Edinburgh Fringe festival, then perhaps you would like to come to Blackwell's Bookshop on the South Bridge and see BEAUTIFUL ME!

Yes, I will be reading from Ceremony of Innocence at Blackwell's Bookshop as part of their "Writers at the Fringe" series. So bring your copy along to be signed, or order a copy right there at the counter, sit back and enjoy seeing someone you actually sort of know doing their thing at the Fringe. Thursday, August 7, 5:45 PM.

Amusingly, my dear husband Benedict Ambrose performed at the Fringe some 20 years ago, all dressed up as a WWI officer--no less a personage than T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia), as a matter of fact. He swaggered about in uniform---which is so August in Edinburgh. In Edinburgh in August there are any number of strange sights, including gorillas ducking into Tesco Metro for supper and gangs of Elizabethans slapping each other with bladders on Nicholson Street.

I haven't worked out yet how I should dress for my performance. As arresting as the thought of reading my work from inside a gorilla suit is, I probably won't do that.

Blackwell's is my very favourite Edinburgh bookshop, even though this is a city abounding in bookshops. Naturally B.A. and I browse the used bookstores with great attention, but there is nothing like a NEW BOOK, if you ask me. The luxury and naughtiness of a brand new shiny book that you don't have to take back to the library!

By the way, is there any Ceremony of Innocence fan art?

Oh, and incidentally, time is running out to buy your copy of Seraphic Singles (Canadian version)... So if you want a copy, do not delay!

5 comments:

Julia said...

Wow! The Edinburgh Fringe! Hitting the big-time there! Why must Melbourne be 16,900 km away from Edinburgh??? Do you reckon I could swim over...?

Julia said...

I'm back, and with a comment that's totally unrelated to your post, but I'm commenting here because it might be interesting to see what the public thinks.

Just yesterday I had a moment of clarity about something (when you read what it was, I don't mind if you think I'm unusually dim for taking this long to have the "aha moment".)

One thing that can be awkward about being a Single in a world full of Couples is that Couples have their secret Couple-Speak that they mutter into each other's ears even though you're sitting right there. It's like the romantic version of the in-joke. It's like, what do I do now? Is this my cue to get up and walk away now? I was sitting there having a pleasant conversation with the two of them and BAM! I'm suddenly excluded when he leans over to whisper something to her. I might as well be invisible.

Most of the time I don't buy into the Couples vs Singles mentality, but moments like those tempt me into becoming a believer, I must say. It's because of things like that that Singles get the implicit message that we're on the outer - officially not part of the club. We haven't been initiated into the upper echelons yet. There is information that will be conveyed over our heads, so to speak, and only when we gain the stamp of approval that is granted by being "in a relationship" will we be privy to the knowledge that comes with being a First Class Citizen. So I feel it's really the little things that Singles perceive in social contexts that give us the nagging sense that we're being reminded that we haven't truly "made it".

Please note that I'm being a little "tongue in cheek" (for example, by capitalising "Single" and "Couple".) And to clarify, I'm talking more about dating Couples here rather than Marrieds. Marrieds tend to mutter to each other about being out of milk, but dating Couples? Well, giggle-giggle-giggle. You wonder if you're being laughed at sometimes.

I don't know. It's not a super big deal or anything. But it does sort of grate on my nerves a little. Perhaps I'm ultra-sensitive. I hope I'm not.

If nothing else, these experiences will hopefully cause me to be conscious of Singles' social exclusion if ever I am in a Couple.

Seraphic said...

Oh dear. Bottom line is that many men aren't great at social dynamics and so seem rude when they don't mean to be. Ditto some women.

My private marriage talk is almost always, "We should go now." It takes the form of a blank wide eyed stare.

Julia said...

Yeah. Although to be fair to the men, I notice this behaviour coming from women just as much. I think that Luv is probably to blame rather than poor social skills.

Heather in Toronto said...

Ah, the Edinburgh Fringe, how fun! I am certain your exotic Canadian accent will draw all the crowds!

I grew up with the Edmonton Fringe (the first and still the biggest in North America) and need to find occasion to go "home" at that time of year, because it is tremendous fun. Toronto has a Fringe festival, but it's very small by comparison.