Monday 5 September 2011

Leo the Late Bloomer

Bonus second post today because I feel inspired.

Imagine, if you can, some shrimp or beanpole of a young man who is so used to thinking that he is unattractive to women that around the age of 18 or 19 (or even earlier), he gives up. He assumes that because he is not attractive to women now, he never shall be. He gets on his life and admires women from afar or glowers at them from under his eyebrows.

Meanwhile he gets older and taller (and/or broader) and becomes an adult human being and therefore much more interesting than the small (or stretched) lump of dough he once was. He joins a religious order, or he marries the first girl who is nice to him, even though he doesn't really like her that much or they have nothing in common, or he just mooches around thinking he is unattractive whereas all around him women walk smack into telephone poles.

I know the opposite--very unattractive men who think they're God's gift--is more common to the average Single girl's experience, so I thought I would point out the existence of Leo the Late Bloomer. Sometimes Leo blooms at 30. Sometimes 40. Sometimes maybe even 50. I can just imagine it happening at 60.

I don't have any idea of what to do for Leo, or how to tell young men that just because women don't notice them now, it doesn't mean they won't notice them in 10 or 20 years. But I thought I'd acknowledge the existence of the Leos out there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a few Leo's and, come to think of it, some Lea's too.

Little Mary said...

Being a bit of a Lea myself, hoping for a blooming Leo to come my way :)

Carole said...

Or, as has been pointed out to me.... Never think all the good ones are gone. God is always about the work of maturing and converting men, thereby making them eligible. And that goes for d ladies too!

Catholic Pen said...

The mindset that you are not very attractive or dateable for the opposite sex is a hard one to break. I know it is for me anyway--being a Lea myself. I am now dating a wonderful NCB or NCM--Nice Catholic Man, and find myself occasionally thinking when is he going to wake up and find out that I am not this or that that it takes to be attractive. The lies we tell ourselves can be pretty strong. But we have to keep on working on refuting them. Thanks for the second post, Seraphic and all the great posts lately :)