Having contemplated all the things that make us go "Hmm!" perhaps we should contemplate what attributes of men we (or our friends) meet make us smile.
The absence of these attributes is not necessarily a "deal-breaker" but they are attributes that make women in my own community nod with approval.
1. He looks and dresses appropriately--even sharply--for whatever the occasion is.
2. He appears friendly and confident, with a good handshake.
3. He is a good conversationalist, neither dominating nor lagging behind in the conversation.
4. He has an interesting--or at least skilled--career or he is working towards an interesting or skilled career.
5. He comes from a good, friendly and clean-living family. (Some families really are deal-breakers, by the way. You might like the man very much, but then you think about what it would be like to be with his snarling, food-throwing, Jackass-watching family every second Thanksgiving for the rest of your life, and the bloom goes off the romance.)
6. He goes to Mass on Sunday. Extra points if he goes to daily Mass, although any girlfriend of his potential girlfriend would also say "Hmm! And has he already discerned that he isn't called to the priesthood or...?"
7. He has photos of his nephews and nieces or of still-little brothers and sisters in his wallet.
8. He owns a reasonable amount of real estate (e.g. one condo or one house, maybe a second house--like a cottage--if he is older). Owning real estate means that a man is serious about his economic well-being and has already put some work and saving into it. But owning too much real estate for his age and career position might make friends say "Hmm! He's not like that father in Long Day's Journey Into Night, is he?)
9. People--of different ages, men and women--keep spontaneously telling you what a great guy he is. (Be wary of written testimonials by his male friends that appear in the post, however. And I'm not sure I want to tell you that story...)
10. He has a habitually sunny disposition.
11. A car is nice. A car means you don't have to take the subway or the bus home from a date. It means you don't have to find a cab and pay a complete stranger who may or may not know your neighbourhood or language or how to speak politely to a woman* to take you home. Scrap this if you have a car!
*Hands up everyone who has found herself listening to a skeezy cab driver who thinks it is okay if he talks about sex with you.