Monday 28 October 2013

I Can Die Now

A reader (or maybe a former reader) just sent me photos of her beautiful baby. In one of the photos the baby is with her handsome father. Now I am not taking a huge amount of credit for the match and the baby, since when I heard the facts it was obvious to me that the handsome man was totally into my reader, or going to be, but I am privately taking a little bit of credit! Go me!

I love babies. Have I mentioned this? I especially love them at the crawling stage---so cute! A part of me is always a little sad when they first walk although, of course, walk they eventually must! I used to love it when my baby brother and then my baby sister crawled into a room, cleverly pushing open doors with their heads. Oh, the adorableness!

Every baby is a sort of post-figuring of Baby Jesus--at least when they're happy. When they're howling, not so much. I had this revelation when I first held my oldest nephew. I told a left-wing nun (sigh) that my nephew looked just like Baby Jesus, and she barked, "Is he tan? Is he Jewish? Is he Palestinian?" Oh dear. She just didn't get it.

Anyway, babies! Yay!

5 comments:

SarahC said...

Oooh, babies! Yay! I do love hearing about reader successes.

Also, what were the facts that made it obvious that handsome man was into reader? That sort of information seems helpful to store away...

Seraphic said...

His favourite movie star looked like her, and he kept going to her place to watch vintage films featuring this film star. He never made a move, though, so my reader wondered...

Heather in Toronto said...

Oh that's adorable. Clearly they managed to work it out somehow...

And yes, hooray for babies! You're totally right. Of course your nephew looked just like Baby Jesus. All babies look just like Baby Jesus. The sweet uncomplicated joy of a baby's giggly smile is my favourite reminder of the love of God.

I am firmly convinced that admiring a baby is a prayer of adoration and thanksgiving in its own right. God, how amazing You are to create something as wonderful as a baby! How loving You are to bring the next generation into being!

They make great theological examples. Babies are totally dependent on their caregivers to provide for them and keep them safe, and they simply trust that they will be provided for and kept safe. So must we be in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Magdalena said...

Also a good reminder of the love of God is their unconditional love and trust in every human being who happens to hold them. They smile into everybody's face, no matter who it is!

Urszula said...

Yay for babies!

And yay for Auntie Seraphic who keeps us sane and makes us wise(r)!